How to use MOSFET driver? MOSFET driver ciruits are used to drive MOSFETS in high side or low side. Why we need MOSFET driver? Because MOSFETS are voltage control device and to drive MOSFET the gate capacitance should be charged to operating voltage which is usually between 9-10 volt. One can do it very easily but there is one issue.Hight voltage on drain of MOSFET cause problem by interaction with gate-drain capacitance. This problem is known as miller effect. MOSFET drivers are used to avoid these issues.
There are many types of MOSFET drivers available in market. but almost all MOSFET driver used totem pole output.Because it have low input impedance and high drive current.
- Optocoupler isolated driver circuits.
- Tranformer isolated driver circuits.
- NOn isolated driver circuits.
To know about totem pole output and its used a mosfet driver go through following article:
NOTE: the current required to drive a MOSFET gate is very low but peak current somehow greater than average current. If peak current required for your application is too high to handle for MOSFET driver IC, you can use external totem pole output or complementary MOSFET circuits.
IR2110 MOSFET DRIVER
In many applications, floating circuit is required to drive high side MOSFET. In H bridge used in pure sine wave inverter design 2 MOSFET are used as high side MOSFET and 2 MOSFET are usesd as low side MOSFET. International rectifiers IR2110 MOSFET driver can be used as high side and low side MOSFET driver. It have a floating circuit to handle to boostrap operation. IR2210 can with stand voltage upto 500v (offset voltage). Its output pins can provide peak current upto 2 ampere. It can also be used to as IGBT driver. IR2210 floating circuit can drive high side MOSFET upto 500 volt. Pin configuration and functionality of each pin is given below:
- Pin 1 is output of low side MOSFET drive
- pin2 is a return path for low side. It is at same potential as ground VSS pin 13. Because when input to low side at pin 12 Lin is high, LO output will be equal to value of Vcc voltage at pin 3 with respect to Vss and COM pin. When hen input to low side at pin 12 Lin is low, LO output will be equal to value of VSS and its means zero.
- VDD pin 9 is a logice supply pin. Its value should be should be between 5 volt. But if you used voltage less than 4 volt it many not give you required result.
- HIN pin 10 is input signal for high side mosfet driver output. It may be from microcontroller or any other device. But input signal logic level should be between 4-5 volt.
- LIN pin 12 is input signal for low side mosfet driver output. It may be from microcontroller or any other device. But input signal logic level should also be between 4-5 volt.
- SD pin 11 is used a shutdown pin. you can use it for protection circuit. For example in over voltage or over current protection circuit , if any of these values become greater than specified values, you can give 5 volt signal to shutdown IR2210 driver to stop driving MOSFETS. In return your circuit will stop working.
- VB pin 6 is used as a high side floating supply or floating circuit to provide floating voltage to high side MOSFET.
- Bootstrap capacitor used between VB and VS to fully operate high side MOSFET. It plays a very important rule in H bridge of pure sine wave inverter. you should used bootstrap capacitor value 22uf-40uf. I have successfully designed H bridge after making many changes in H bridge with 33uf/50v bootstrap capacitor value.
- For more detail I recommend you to go through data sheet of IR2210 and one tip for those readers who are from Pakistan, Don’t purchase IR2110 from Pakistan.Because low quality IR2110 IC’s are available in Pakistan which burn again and again and will make you hopeless.I have already gone through this situation while working on my final year project “Hybrid pure sine wave inverter”.Then I used IR2112 and its works perfectly. Because IR2212 and I2110 both are almost same and their pin out are same.I recommend you to use IR2112 also in your project.
IR2110 as low side or high side MOSFET DRIVER
IR2110 as high side and low side mosfet driver in half bridge
IR2110 as a high side high side mosfet driver
IR2110 as a low side MOSFET driver
Its all from my side.now its your turn to share your problems in comment. Its pleasure for me to reply to your comment. Kindly don’t forget to share it with your friends and on social media.best wishes for your project 🙂