Real Life Examples of Embedded Systems
Embedded Systems are ruling our lives. Embedded Systems is an important subject of electronics which is mostly not given its due importance. If you talk about technology, you think about Laptops, Computers, DSLRs, Cameras, Mobile Phones, and Tablets. But you never think or talk about embedded systems that are running them. So, here we will tell you what the embedded system actually is and will also share various Real Life Examples of Embedded Systems.
An Embedded System is a Computer System that consists of both Hardware and Software. It is used to perform a particular job. Depending upon the type of Application it may or may not be programmable. The main part of Embedded System is a microcontroller, as the name suggests that is it controls all the operations required from it.
Real life examples of embedded systems include Mobile Phones, Cameras, Digital Watches, Laptops, Washing Machines, and Tablets etc. Mobile Phones, Laptops, and Tablets are a complete computer system but Digital Watches and traffic signals Washing Machines are not complete che computers systems yet they are embedded systems.
There are countless real-life examples of embedded systems. Here we are sharing some of them. Have a look.
- This is one of the famous example in real life examples of embedded system
- The calculator is the most common example of an embedded system, I must say. We all used calculators in our daily life to solve our mathematical problems.
- A calculator is the embedded system that was developed very early.
- In the calculator, we give input from the keyboard, the embedded system performs the gives function like Add, Subtract etc and displays the result on LCD.
- Nowadays, the scientific calculators are used. They have a very high-performance processor.
- These calculators have the ability to perform the complex mathematical functions.
- These calculators can be programmable.
- It is just because of the embedded system, that these scientific calculators are advanced in their function as compared to simple calculators.
- There are many examples of Embedded Systems in Industries.
- Nowadays, all the process are being taken towards automation.
- So, we need to mention Industrial Robots as the most important applications of embedded Systems.
- Industrial Robots are available in a variety of forms, each form has some different number of functions to perform.
- There are some Industrial Roots that can move tools, parts, materials etc.
- Some of the robots are used in the manufacturing of different equipment’s whereas some are used in assembling different parts of equipments.
- The productivity rate has been increased by these Robots with Embedded Systems.
- These Robots are excessively used at those place where the access of humans is difficult.
- In order to understand, how the industrial robot works as an embedded system, you need to know about automated painting robots.
Painting robots are widely used these days
- Nowadays, these robots have decreased the need of humans as they perform the task in less time with excellent results.
- The operation performed by the robots are controlled through programming.
- The time required for the whole process to complete and the amount of paint required for that is already set.
- Another example of Industrial Robot is Assembly Robot.
- The function of such a robot is to assemble different parts.
- All the different parts are collected and assembled together in right sequence to form a final product.
- There are various examples of industrial robots that use the embedded system.
Personal Digital Assistant
- Personal Digital Assistant is also an embedded device made for personal use just like a personal computer in your hand.
- There are a lot of personal embedded devices around you like data organizers, Mobile Phones, Personal Digital Assistant etc.
- Personal Digital Assistant was used at the time before the invention of a smartphone.
- It is a personal device that is used as information manager and can be connected to the internet.
- It has a touchscreen display with which the user interacts with the PDA device.
- The data is input through its touchscreen display and the data is stored in a memory card and there is Bluetooth or wifi for connectivity.
- The Personal Digital Assistant Devices with Keypads instead of Touchscreen display are also available.
- This device is user dependent in entering and storing information. It has light weight and performs various tasks.
Automated Teller Machine
- You are much familiar with ATM, the machine for withdrawing money. That is also an example of embedded systems.
- ATM is a computerized device, nowadays, every bank has necessarily.
- You know well, how ATM works, how you have to input your ATM card and password and as a result, you receive your money.
- This machine consists of a card reader that is used to detect the card of the person and access important information through that card.
- Another part of the machine is a keypad, from which you enter your password and other commands.
- There is a screen on which information is displayed, the receipts are printed through a printer and cash dispenser delivers you your money.
- Through host computer, a network is established between a computer at Bank and ATM.
- The bank computer verifies all the data and stores the record of transactions.
- Microcontroller carries all the operations whether input or output.
- That’s how this embedded system works.
Automatic Washing Machine
- This is also on of the famous application of real life examples of embedded systems
- Washing Machine at your home is another common example of embedded systems.
- You out all the dirty clothes inside the machine and push start button i.e. you input data.
- Wm is there to measure the weight of the laundry you have put inside.
- WM opens the valve to enable the clean water go inside.
- On the basis of load and water level, the valve gets closed.
- The rotating drum of the Washing Machine starts rotating and that’s how washing starts.
- After washing cycle, the outlet valve opens to release all the dirty water.
- The sensor detects whether all the dirty water has been removed or not and opens or close the outlet valve.
- This whole process repeats and we get our clothed washed.