TMC2209 SilentStepStick is a step/direction driver for two-phase bipolar stepper motors having a current of up to 2.8A peak to peak and 2A RMS. It can drive a 2-phase bipolar stepper motor from 1 to 1/256 steps mode. On top of that, TMC2209 offers a simple UART interface to tune and control with the help of any microcontroller having a UART port.
TMC2209 is a stepper motor driver module introduced by TRIAMINIC. The TMC2209 module is incorporated with exclusive TRIAMINIC technology which makes the driver module silent and highly precise. This stepper motor module is embedded with 12.5 MHz of the internal oscillator, UART for serial data transfer, and provides high-resolution steps with full resolution up to 1/256 steps to achieve smoothness. These steps can be configured into 9 different micro-step resolution settings. The device is low-power, cost-effective and reliable.
TMC2209 has applications especially in robotics, 3D printing, and automation projects. The tutorial is a simple guide to pinout, schematic, features, specifications, interfacing, and applications.
TMC2209 Stepper Motor Driver Pinout
The following diagram shows the pinout of the TMC2209 Stepper motor driver module:
Let us discuss the pinout of the TMC2209 Stepper motor driver module. The chipset has a total of 28 pins out of which only 18 pins are extended onto the module.
The pin configuration detail of the extended pins in tabular is mentioned below:
|VM||Motor power supply pin – Connect power supply for Arduino to this pin|
|M2B||Motor Coil 2 pin|
|M2A||Motor Coil 2 pin|
|M1B||Motor Coil 1 pin|
|M1A||Motor Coil 1 pin|
|VIO||Logic Power supply pin|
|DIR||Motor direction input pin|
|STEP||Motor step signal input pin|
|PDN_UART||Power down control or UART pin(GND=0, VIO=off)|
|SPREAD||Chopper mode selection pin If high, SpreadCycle is selected and Stealthchop is selected on viceversa.|
|MS2||Microstep configuration pin|
|MS1||Microstep configuration pin It adjusts microstep resolution.|
|EN||Output enable pin(GND=0, VIO=off)|
|DIAG||Output Diagnostic pin (VIO=error)|
|VREF||Reference voltage pin|
|INDEX||Output Index pin (one pulse for every four pins)|
TMC2209 Stepper Specifications
- Operating Voltage: 4.75 Volts – 28 Volts
- Maximum Internal Clock Frequency: 12.5 MHz
- Maximum Current per phase: 2 A
- Peak Output Current: 2.8 A
- The module is designed for two-phase stepper motors.
- It is integrated with an adjustable STEP/DIR interface which can be configured in 8, 16, 32, and 64 settings.
- A single wire UART is used to communicate with microcontroller units.
- A pulse generator is embedded to make the device work independently during the stand-alone mode. Also, power standby mode for energy regulation purposes.
- For reliability and protection, protection and diagnostic attributes are introduced.
TMC2209 TRIAMINIC Technology
TRIAMINIC has developed some patent codes which makes the device market competent with other modules.
- StealthChop2™ A highly precise and noiseless code for silent motion and inaudible standstill of the motor. It permits acceleration and deceleration faster than the StealthChop™ and escalates it to low standstill currents.
- SpreadCycle™ The code acquires the highest dynamic motion through cycle-by-cycle current control.
- MicroPlyer™ Microstep interpolator is for obtaining full 256 micro-step smoothness with lower resolution and maximum efficiency.
- StallGuard4™ This sensorless feature informs about motor overload when it has reached its mechanical stop.
- CoolStep™ For better efficiency and less heating up of the 2 phase stepper and drive StallGuard measurement is to be used.
TMC2209 Block Diagram
The block diagram of the TMC2209 Stepper motor driver module for the better conception of internal components is given below:
Internal Circuit Diagram
Interfacing TMC2209 Stepper driver with microcontroller
The section deals with the interfacing of the TMC2209 Stepper motor module to a microcontroller unit.
The TMC2209 Stepper motor driver module works in the same fashion as A4988. The difference is that it uses technologies like Stealthchop2, StallGuard for noiseless and efficient dynamic motion in the stepper motor. The module is powered up through the VIO and GND pins connected to the MCU power pins typically ranging from 3 Volts to 5 Volts. To meet the supply requirements of the motor, the VMOT pin is connected with a supply voltage between 4.75 – 28 Volts.
The 4 output motor pins would be connected to the coils of the 2-phase stepper motor. The pins EN, STEP, and DIR are connected too. EN serves the enabling of the motor outputs while STEP configures motor steps. DIR is responsible for the direction of the motor either clockwise or anticlockwise depending on its state. The TMC2209 Stepper driver module has the ability to set its step resolution in 9 different ways. It is obtained by setting the logic levels of MS1 and MS2 pins. for desired measurements.
In the case of Arduino, one should install the concerned TMCStepper library in the Arduino IDE to interface the module. Example sketches are available in Arduino library to learn and observe the code execution and then code as per requirement.
TMC2209 Alternative Options
- 3D applications
- Home automation
- ATM Machines
- Security purposes
- Textile industry
- Printers & Scanners