In this tutorial you will how to use this for programming of microcontrollers.For programming the avr microcontroller we needed a simple but powerful programmer. For this PonyProg was our choice.PonyProg is serial device programmer software with a user friendly GUI framework available for Windows95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP and Intel Linux. Its purpose is reading and writing every serial device. At the moment it supports I²C Bus, Microwire, SPI eeprom, the Atmel AVR and Microchip PIC micro.SI-Prog is the programmer hardware interface for this complier. It is free to use software for avr microcontroller, . and pic microcontrollers. you can download it for free or even one can modify it. To download it click on the following link:
For running and using following steps are used:
- Start the PonyProg program by clicking on:
- Once the program has started, following screen will appear:
- Next is This dialog box appears the first time it is run. After it has been installed on the computer. if this does not appear then skip it.
- Access calibration through Setup menu: Setup >> Calibration
- Set the device by selecting “AVR Micro” then “ATmega16” from “Device”
- In Interface setup serial cable is connected to the computer’s com port (COM1) to program Atmega16. For this go to “Interface board Setup” window by selecting “Interface Setup…” from the “Setup”
- “I/O port setup” should be set to “Serial”. The drop-down should be set to “SI Prog API” and “COM1” selected. Leave all “Polarity of the Control lines” checkboxes.
- Now, press the “Probe” button on the “Interface board Setup” If all goes well, you should see the following message appear. Press “OK” and “OK” again on the “Interface board Setup” window.
- If you get the following message, something is not configured correctly. Work through this section, Interface Setup, again and if the probe test still fails, consult a tutor.
- For loading the program file select “Open Device ..” from the “File” menu.
- You will then get the “Open Device content file” dialog Go to the “File of type:” drop-down and select *.hex. Navigate to the folder which contains required hex file and select the filename and press the “Open” button.
- The window changes to show the contents of the hex program file. Displayed down the left side in red, are the address offsets of each line of data in the The addresses are displayed in hexadecimal. Each line contains 16 bytes of data, so the address offsets increment by 16 (10 in hex) for each line.
- For Programming the device, before the device can be programmed, it must be Select “Program Options” from the “Command” menu and select erase, write program flash write security configration bits
- The device can now be Select “Program” from the “Command” menu.
- If program is successfully burned following dialog is shown: