Solar systems have many applications in the domestic and industrial markets. The use of solar energy is increasing day by day. Conventional energy resources are decreasing day by day, and people are searching for non-conventional energy resources. Solar energy systems are also crucial in replacing electrical energy. Electrical engineers work on solar system projects every year. Final-year engineering students work on innovative electrical projects and electronics projects. Engineering students also integrate solar systems into their projects. Below is a list of innovative solar system project ideas.
Solar Energy Projects Ideas
This project is used to measure the parameters of solar panels. It can measure voltage, current, temperature in the surrounding area of the solar panels. It also measures the intensity of light falling on the solar panels with the help of a light sensor. A light-dependent resistor is used as a light sensor to measure the intensity of light. The LM35 temperature sensor is used to measure the temperature of the solar panels. A shunt resistor is used as a current sensor to convert the current into voltage form because the microcontroller cannot measure current directly. A voltage divider circuit is used to divide the voltage up to the reference voltage of the controller. The PIC16F877A microcontroller is used to measure all these parameters.
Energy measurement systems are used to measure the energy or power of solar panels. The current and voltage of solar panels are measured with the help of PIC16F877A. The project of a digital DC voltmeter and a digital DC ammeter can help you understand how to measure DC voltage and DC current. The product of DC voltage and DC current is used to determine the power output of solar panels. An LCD display is employed to showcase the voltage, current, and output power.
Smart solar charge controller is used to charge lead-acid batteries properly. It is used to increase the lifetime of batteries. PWM technique is used in this charge controller. PIC16F877A microcontroller is used to generate PWM. This project also includes an LCD to display the charging and discharging current of the battery. It also includes a short circuit and overcurrent protection circuitry. Totem pole MOSFET driver is used to drive IRF3205 MOSFETS. Two transistors are connected back to back to form a totem pole configuration.
This project is used to make solar street lights independent from other energy sources. Solar panels are used to charge the battery with the help of a solar charge controller. The PIC16F877A microcontroller is used to control the intensity of the street lights. The intensity of LED-based street lights changes automatically according to the intensity of light. The greater the intensity of light, the lower the intensity of LED street lights, and vice versa. After 1:00 am at night, the lights turn off themselves automatically and turn on only if there is any vehicle on the road. A vehicle detection system is also included in this project.
Solar power automatic irrigation system project is used to control water pumps in agriculture fields or farms automatically. Moisture sensors are used to measure the moisture level in agriculture fields. If the water level is less than the required level for plants, the solar power auto-irrigation system turns on water pumps automatically. The PIC16F877A microcontroller is used to measure moisture with the help of a moisture sensor. Solar panels are used to provide power to water pumps through DC batteries. A solar charge controller is used to charge the batteries. A PWM-based charge controller is used in this project, but you can use any controller according to your requirements.
Solar inverter is used to convert solar energy stored in batteries into AC power. A solar inverter is designed using the SG3525 PWM controller IC. Solar energy is stored in batteries using a solar charge controller. This project includes a complete guide to designing an inverter using pulse width modulation controller IC. The push-pull DC to AC converter topology is used in this project. This inverter can be used up to 100W, but its rating can be increased by using MOSFETs in parallel.
In this project, a 15A solar charge controller is designed without using any microcontroller. In this project, I have also discussed how to select a solar charge controller or how to choose a charge controller. This charge controller is designed using analog electronic components like the RFP30P05 P-channel MOSFET, which is used to control the flow of charge into the battery. An operational amplifier is used as a comparator to set the voltage or charging and discharging limits of the battery.
Solar NiCad battery charger is designed using the MAX639 integrated circuit. The MAX639 IC is used to step down solar panel voltages. It is also used to regulate the flow of charge to the battery. This project is designed for low-power applications.
In this project, a solar tracker is designed using a PIC microcontroller to extract maximum power from solar panels. A stepper motor is used, which rotates in the direction of the sun.
Solar Energy Projects List
Solar energy projects are becoming increasingly popular due to the growing interest in renewable energy sources and sustainability. Here’s a list of 50 popular solar energy projects across various applications and scales:
- Solar Water Heater: Build a solar water heating system for residential or industrial use.
- Solar Charger: Create a portable solar charger for electronic devices like phones and laptops.
- Solar Oven: Build a solar oven for cooking and baking.
- Solar Still: Create a solar still for purifying water in remote areas.
- Solar Desalination: Develop a solar desalination system to convert seawater into freshwater.
- Solar Water Pump: Design a solar-powered water pump for irrigation or water supply.
- Solar Tracker: Build a solar panel tracker to maximize energy capture throughout the day.
- Solar Air Conditioning: Create a solar-powered air conditioning system to reduce electricity bills.
- Solar Dryer: Build a solar food dehydrator or clothes dryer.
- Solar-Powered Car: Develop a solar car or retrofit an existing vehicle with solar panels.
- Solar-Powered Boat: Create a solar-powered boat or retrofit a boat with solar panels.
- Solar-Powered Aircraft: Design a solar-powered drone or aircraft for various applications.
- Solar Street Lights: Install solar-powered street lights for energy-efficient outdoor lighting.
- Solar-Powered Fountain: Build a solar-powered water fountain for decorative purposes.
- Solar-Powered Backpack: Create a backpack with built-in solar panels for charging devices on the go.
- Solar-Powered WiFi Router: Design a solar-powered WiFi router for remote areas.
- Solar-Powered Data Logger: Build a solar-powered data logger for environmental monitoring.
- Solar-Powered Weather Station: Create a weather station powered by solar panels.
- Solar-Powered IoT Devices: Develop various IoT devices powered by solar energy.
- Solar-Powered Remote Monitoring: Implement a solar-powered remote monitoring system for off-grid locations.
- Solar-Powered LED Lighting: Install solar-powered LED lighting systems for homes or businesses.
- Solar-Powered Water Heater for Swimming Pools: Build a solar pool heater to extend the swimming season.
- Solar-Powered Electric Bike: Retrofit a bicycle with a solar-powered electric motor.
- Solar-Powered Water Filtration: Create a solar-powered water filtration system for clean drinking water.
- Solar-Powered Ventilation: Install solar-powered attic or greenhouse ventilation systems.
- Solar-Powered Phone Booth: Design solar-powered public phone booths in remote areas.
- Solar-Powered Hydroponics: Implement solar-powered hydroponic systems for indoor farming.
- Solar-Powered Electric Fence: Create a solar-powered electric fence for security or livestock control.
- Solar-Powered Refrigeration: Build a solar-powered refrigerator for off-grid living.
- Solar-Powered Water Feature: Install solar-powered water features in gardens or landscapes.
- Solar-Powered Education Kits: Develop solar energy educational kits for schools.
- Solar-Powered Emergency Kits: Create portable solar-powered emergency kits for disaster preparedness.
- Solar-Powered Health Clinics: Design solar-powered health clinics for remote medical services.
- Solar-Powered Street Vendor Carts: Build solar-powered carts for street vendors.
- Solar-Powered Street Signs: Implement solar-powered LED street signs for enhanced visibility.
- Solar-Powered Charging Stations: Install solar-powered charging stations for electric vehicles.
- Solar-Powered Water Fountain: Create decorative solar-powered water fountains for parks and gardens.
- Solar-Powered Greenhouse: Design a solar-powered greenhouse with controlled climate conditions.
- Solar-Powered Irrigation System: Install solar-powered irrigation systems for agriculture.
- Solar-Powered Waste Bins: Develop solar-powered waste bins with compactors for urban areas.
- Solar-Powered EV Charging Stations: Build solar-powered electric vehicle (EV) charging stations.
- Solar-Powered Street Cameras: Implement solar-powered surveillance cameras for security.
- Solar-Powered Trash Compactors: Install solar-powered trash compactors in public spaces.
- Solar-Powered Water Monitoring: Develop solar-powered water quality monitoring systems.
- Solar-Powered LED Billboards: Create solar-powered LED billboards for advertising.
- Solar-Powered Sound Systems: Install solar-powered sound systems for events and public spaces.
- Solar-Powered Wi-Fi Hotspots: Set up solar-powered Wi-Fi hotspots in remote or underserved areas.
- Solar-Powered Disaster Relief: Design solar-powered mobile units for disaster relief efforts.
- Solar-Powered Traffic Lights: Implement solar-powered traffic lights at intersections.
- Solar-Powered Electric Grids: Develop microgrids or community solar projects to provide renewable energy to local communities.
These projects showcase the versatility and sustainability of solar energy across a wide range of applications. Depending on your interests and resources, you can choose a solar energy project that aligns with your goals and contributes to a more sustainable future.
- 150+ ESP32 Tutorials and Projects with Arduino IDE
- IOT based projects for final year engineering students
- 100+ digital logic design projects list with logic gates for beginners
- Mechanical Engineering Projects Ideas
- Mechatronics engineering projects ideas for final year students
- Computer engineering projects for final year students
- pic microcontroller projects for EEE students
- Embedded system projects ideas for EEE and ECE students