Pic microcontroller tutorials for beginners : Due you want to learn about microcontrollers? Do you have a passion to start your career in embedded systems field? Do you want to work on embedded systems projects? Do you ever wonder how intelligent devices works automatically? Do you want to learn embedded systems programming? If answer to these questions is yes, you are at right place. you are about to start your journey to learn about microcontrollers and embedded systems. This is complete list of pic microcontroller tutorials for beginners and also for those who knows the basics of pic microcontroller and want to improve their knowledge. After reading and doing these pic microcontroller tutorials, you will be able to write you own code for your pic microcontroller based project.
I have written a complete list of pic microcontroller tutorials, starting from introduction to pic microcontrollers , how to use Mikro c for pic for programming of pic microcontrollers, how to use Mikro c for pic and how to write your first program using pic microcontroller for blinking of a LED. I am sure after reading these tutorials, you will get enough knowledge about pic microcontroller that you will be able to write your own code for pic microcontroller based projects. I will start with beginners level pic microcontroller tutorials and then go to intermediate level pic microcontroller tutorials. At the end I will also mention some advance level pic microcontroller tutorials. So a complete list of pic microcontroller based tutorials is given below:
Beginners level pic microcontroller tutorials
- Difference between c language and embedded c : Before you start your journey with pic microcontrollers, one should have basic knowledge of c programming. If you know about c programming, you should also know about basic differences between c language and embedded.
- Getting started with pic microcontroller: This pic microcontroller tutorial is on introduction to pic microcontroller. History, different series of microcontrollers. General overview on pic microcontroller built in functions and hardware modules.
- types of oscillators used in pic microcontrollers
- Introduction to pic16f877a microcontroller : In this second pic microcontroller tutorial, you will learn about famous and widely used controller. In this tutorial, I have explained all the PORTS, timers, counter and other peripherals of PIC16F877A controller. You can also apply same explanation to other pic microcontrollers. Because internal architecture of all pic microcontrollers are same except few changes in data bus and address bus size.
- Type of memory used in pic microcontroller: In this tutorial, I have explained about types of memory types used in pic microcontrollers and feature or function of each memory type.
- How to set configuration bits of pic microcontroller: In this article, I have written about configuration bits of controller. Configuration bits are used to set operating modes of microcontroller like frequency mode selection etc. For more details read this tutorial.
- How to write your first program in Mikro c for pic : In this pic microcontroller tutorial, you will learn how to write your first program for pic microcontroller using Mikro c pro for pic compiler. There are other compilers are available, but in these series of tutorials, I have decided to use only Mikro c for pic. Because it is easy to use for beginners and you can easily jump start to working on pic microcontrollers.
- How to use input/output ports of pic microcontroller: In this tutorial, I have guided you how to use input output ports of pic microcontroller. How to configure any pin as a input and how to configure any pin as a output? How to used these pins of interact with external world. For example, you can use LED and switches with these pins.
- LED blinking using pic microcontroller: This pic microcontroller tutorial is about how to blink a led with different delays. In fact, this tutorial is a start of writing your first code and control LEDs connected with microcontroller.
- LCD interfacing with pic microcontroller: This article is about how to use and interface liquid crystal display with pic16f877a. LCD can be used to display different digital values. After you done with this tutorial, you will be able to write your own LCD display code for different things.
- Scrolling text on LCD: In this pic microcontroller tutorial, I have explained how to scroll text on lcd. For example, you have often seen digital displays where a long string displayed on LED matrix in scrolling fashion. Exact same thing, you can do with LCD. Read this tutorial to know more about it.
- Keypad interfacing with pic16f877a: This pic microcontroller tutorial will teach you how to use any keypad with pic16f877a to take input from external world in the form of numbers or letters. you can make a simple calculator by using a keypad and lcd display.
- Steppers motor interfacing : This tutorial is about how to interface stepper motor with pic microcontroller with complete step by step guide and explanation of code.
- Servo motor interfacing with pic16f877a : As you know servo motor has many applications in industry and process control systems. In this guide, I have tried to explain how to control servo motor with pic microcontroller.
- Dc motor interfacing and speed control: In this tutorial I have explained how to control speed of dc motor by interfacing it with pic microcontroller. L298D motor driver or a transistor can be used to interface dc motor with controller.
- serial communication using pic microcontroller: All pic microcontrollers have built in UART or USART serial communication module which is used to communicate with other microcontrollers or devices. It is very commonly used communication protocol in embedded system. I recommend you to learn programming of this module very well. Because there are many wireless communication modules which works on serial communication. if you know UART programming, you can easily interface pic microcontroller with these modules like gsm module.
- Optocoupler interfacing with pic microcontroller: In this article, you will learn how to interface a optocoupler with pic18f452. Opto isolator is used when we want to isolate high side voltages from low side voltages. It is also used for protection of microcontroller.
Intermediate level pic microcontroller tutorials
Below is a list of intermediate level pic microcontroller tutorials:
- How to use timers of pic18f452 : This tutorial is about how to used timers of PIC18F452. Timers has many applications. For example, they are used to generate delay. They are also used a counter. Timers also used to measure frequency and pulse of PWM.
- How to use external interrupts of pic18F452: In this tutorial you will learn how to use external interrupts of pic18f452. External interrupts are used to detect external events. For example it is used to measure frequency and speed of motor etc.
- How to use CCP module of pic microcontroller: In this tutorial you will learn how to use capture compare and pulse width modulation of pic18f452. CCP/ECCP modules are used to generate PWM or SPWM or SVPWM. It has many application in power electronics projects.
- How to generate PWM using pic16f877a: This guide is about how to generate PWM signals using pic microcontroller? How to set frequency of PWM? How to set timer period of PWM.
- Seven segment display counter using pic microcontroller : In this tutorial you will learn how to use seven segment display counter with pic microcontroller? How to interface seven segment display with pic16f877a.
- Relays interfacing: In this tutorial you will know how to interface relay with pic controller. Relay interfacing has many applications in home automation based projects.
- How to use watchdog timer of pic microcontroller: In this pic microcontroller tutorial, you will know how to watchdog timer of microcontroller. Watchdog timer is used to go into sleep mode when microcontroller is doing nothing and it helps us to reduce power consumption of microcontroller.
- How to use built in comparator module : In this article, you will learn how to use built in comparator modules of pic microcontroller. Comparator modules are used to compare voltage with defined voltage.
- LED matrix interfacing with pic microcontroller: In this tutorials I have explained how to interface any LED matrix display with pic18f452. LED matrix displays are used for digital display purposes.
- USB communication with pic microcontroller: Some advance level pic microcontrollers supports USB communication also. It is used to communicate with other devices through USB communication protocol. PIC18F2550 and PIC18F4550 both supports USB communication.
- SPI communication using pic microcontroller : Serial peripharal interface communciation is also very popular four wire communication. There are many devices and sensors which sends and receive data over SPI communication.
- I2C communication using pic microcontroller: I2C communication is a two wire communication. In this article you will learn how to use I2C communication to communicate with other devices over I2C bus.
Advance level pic microcontroller tutorials
- Gsm module interfacing with pic microcontroller: In this tutorial, you will learn how to interface GSM module with pic microcontroller? How to used AT commands in code to send and receive sms using pic microcontroller
- send sms using gsm module and pic microcontroller: In this tutorial you will learn how to send sms using gsm module and pic microcontroller. Use of AT commands to send sms automatically.
- Receive sms using gsm and pic: In this pic microcontroller tutorial, you will know how to receive sms from any sim on gsm module and send this sms to pic18f452 on UART interrupt.
- How to make call with gsm using pic16f877a : In this article, I have explained how to make call from gsm module from any computer
- How to answer phone call with gsm module: This article teaches you how to receive call from any number using gsm module and pic16f877a.
- Bluetooth module interfacing with pic18f46k22 : In this module I have given introduction to Bluetooth modules, types of Bluetooth module. How they communicate with microcontroller.
- HC 05 Bluetooth module interfacing with pic microcontroller: This article will guide you how to interface HC 05 BT module with any microcontroller.
- ESP8266 wifi module interfacing with pic microcontroller : How to use ESP8266 WIFI module and how to interface it with PIC18F46K22. Step by step guide.
- Houlx M-89 GPS module interfacing with pic16f877a